Can technology bridge the development gap and accelerate progress towards the MDGs?
Geneva, 29 April, 2010
What: World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum, 10-14 May 2010
Co-hosted by ITU, UNESCO, UNCTAD and UNDP
When: Opening ceremony: 10 May, 09:30-10:30, CICG
High Level Plenary: 10 May 10:30-12:00, CICG
High Level Debate - Build on Broadband: 10 May 12:00-13:00, CICG
Opening press conference: 10 May 13:15, Room L, ITU Montbrillant building
Where: Geneva CICG & ITU headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland. Live webcast at: www.itu.int/ibs/WSIS/201005forum/index.html
Why: WSIS Forum is the key event tracking worldwide ICT deployment and impact of technology on the global development agenda. This year’s Forum opening sessions will feature top-level speakers including:
• Dr Hamadoun Touré, Secretary General, International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
• Ms Irina Bokova, Director General, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
• Dr Supachai Panitchpakdi, Secretary General, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
• Ambassador Sha Zukang, Under-Secretary-General, United Nations - Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA) (video message)
• Ms Cécile Molinier, Director, United Nations Development Programme(UNDP) Geneva
• H.E. Mohamed Naceur Ammar, Minister of Communication Technologies, Tunisia
• Mr Art Reilly, International Chamber of Commerce, Business Action to Support the Information Society (ICC-BASIS), Chair, ICT Policy Committee of the USCIB
• Mr Richard Amalvy, Vice-Chairman of the Conference of Non Governmental Organisations in consultative relationships with the United Nations (CoNGO)
• H.E. Adama Samassékou, Former President of PrepCom of WSIS Geneva Phase
• H.E. Janis Karklins, Former President of PrepCom of WSIS Tunis Phase
The High Level Debate on ‘Build on Broadband’ will be followed by a major announcement at the press conference at 13:15 in Room L, ITU Montbrillant building.
The press conference will be webcast live at: www.itu.int/ibs/WSIS/201005forum/index.html.
More information for media will be shortly available on the event Newsroom at: www.itu.int/net/newsroom/WSIS/2010/index.aspx
For the full programme showing all sessions and speakers see here.
Who: The meeting will attract high level representatives from government, private industry, civil society and UN agencies
Media information: UN press accreditation is valid. UN-accredited media may enter with their UN press badge, but are invited pass by the Media Registration booth located at ITU’s Montbrillant entrance to obtain a media pack.
All other media are invited to apply for accreditation online.
For more information, please visit www.itu.int/wsis/implementation/2010/forum/geneva or contact:
Sarah Parkes Jaroslaw Ponder
Media Relations Strategy & Policy Advisor, WSIS
Tel: +41 22 730 6135 Tel: +41 22 730 6065
Mobile: +41 79 599 1439 Mobile: +41 79 599 1405
E-mail: pressinfo itu.int E-mail: jaroslaw.ponder itu.int